With Atomsmith® Molecule Lab - Middle School Edition, physical science students can hold molecules in their hands. Spin the molecules around. Zoom in for a closer look. Put the molecules in a box and see them move and interact with other molecules. Then, change the temperature and see the molecules transform from solids to liquids to gases - and back again. Explore how atoms in molecules rearrange during chemical reactions. (See below screenshots and screencasts for examples.)
App of the Week!
Atomsmith Molecule Lab Middle School has been chosen by eSchool News as the App of the Week!
Keep up-to-date on the impact that atoms and molecules have on your world! Read current news from around the world and interact with 3D models of molecules making the news. Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook to track when we post news articles!
Screenshots and Screencasts (click or tap each to enlarge)
Note: You should see 6 examples. If you do not, click your browser's refresh/reload page control.
Looking for more features and more models? Check out our Atomsmith Molecule Lab - Full Edition (iPad)
Looking for a Mac App? Check out The Atomic Dashboard (Mac)
- A Molecule Library of 3D models of molecules representing a wide variety of substances found in your everyday world. These range in size from small (noble gases) to large (DNA) and can be viewed using a variety of labeling and 3D viewing options. It also contains models of crystal structures that you can easily use to construct large crystal lattices. The Molecule Library also contains numerous links to detailed information about each molecule on the Web (e.g., Wikipedia and YouTube).
- A Live Lab that allows you to place molecules in a virtual box, make them move and interact with each other. Then perform experiments on the molecules by changing variables such as temperature and pressure. Run simulations with invisible intermolecular forces turned ON to study how molecules form different states of matter. Or turn the forces OFF to study ideal gas behavior and kinetic molecular theory.
- A Reaction Library containing detailed, interactive models that allow you to follow rearrangements of atoms as reactants turn into products. Track the energy changes. Confirm the principles of conservation of mass and numbers of atoms.
- A library of onscreen Tutorials that walk you through numerous examples of how to use the Molecule Lab and how to conduct your own virtual experiments.
- A detailed Glossary of scientific terms related to the structure and energy of atoms and molecules.
- A News feature links to current news articles about molecules in everyday society and commerce. Read the news, then examine models of the featured molecules in the Molecule Lab.
Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) Middle School Applications
Atomsmith Molecule Lab embodies the idea of "science as both a body of knowledge and an evidence-based, model and theory building enterprise," a core concept of the NRC Framework and the Next Generation Science Standards for the physical sciences. Its physics-based 3D simulation and molecular visualization engine is based on decades of experimental and theoretical scientific research.
This collected "body of knowledge" has been packaged as realistic interactive models that allow physical science students to interact with molecules using just their finger tips.
More importantly, Atomsmith Molecule Lab allows students to construct their own scientific knowledge by conducting experiments. For example, they can build a box of water molecules, start them moving, then change the temperature to see how the molecules rearrange themselves as they change state (solid, liquid and gas).
It's an ideal tool for satisfying the Framework's Disciplinary Core Ideas:
- Structure and Properties of Matter
- Chemical Reactions
- Definitions of Energy
...and the Science and Engineering Practices of:
- Developing and Using Models
- Analyzing and Interpreting Data
- Constructing Explanations and Designing Solutions
- Obtaining, Evaluating, and Communicating Information